CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cookie Cutter Words

Hello!!

The snow and yucky ice has sure given me time to get a head start on a few things coming up! Being at home for 4 days has really given me a bad case of cabin fever! So, with all the time in the world, I decided to work on some centers for the upcoming weeks!

I love, love, LOVE centers!! It's great to see the kids learning while they play! My kiddos love center time and are thoroughly upset if something interferes with it!! I love incorporating holiday/special occasions into centers. I think the kids get a kick out of it too! With that being said, I wanted to come up with a "Word Work" center themed around Valentine's Day.

Here's what I came up with. I had tons of leftover heart-shaped cookie cutters from my wedding. Both Kevin and I love cookies, so we decided to tie that into our wedding favors for the guests. So, I decided to take them out of the back, do not dare enter closet, and use them in some way, shape or form.

Basically the kids get a heart-shaped cookie cutter and trace a heart around a group of letters. Then, using the letters inside of the tracing, they make words, and record them on a recording sheet. Here are printables of what you need! I am going to laminate the directions and give each kiddo their own tracing sheet and recording sheet. There is also room on the recording sheet for multiple tracings, depending on the size of your cookie cutter. I am definitely going to suggest that for my early finishers!! You can even level this activity by using different sizes of cookie cutters. The larger the shape, the more letters you have to make words with. Plus, Valentine's Day pencils make this even more exciting for the kiddos!







Depending on how this works, I think we can use the same concept with different cookie cutters for different holidays/special occasions. I have the cutest shamrock cookie cutter for March! I'm hoping this is a hit with the kids!! Enjoy!!

1 comment: