CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What We Love Wednesday-Writing

Happy Wednesday!!!

Today's post is about writing! I've always loved writing, even as a child. Do you remember those job tests we all took in high school? Well, my suggested two jobs were teaching or writing! I guess I get a little bit of both of those worlds with my teaching blog! :)

I truly want my students to love writing, so I try to find ways to make it more fun and interesting. One writing activity we did a few months ago combined my kiddos love for Silly Bandz and writing. I posted about this a long time ago and my kids really enjoyed it!

Since I'm at home on the home computer, I don't have a picture of what I'm about to explain. Over the summer I created "Writing Rings". They are writing prompts written out on index cards. I put 3 prompts together and connected them with a ring. The students choose 1 ring and write about the prompt in their writing journals. These are a part of their enrichment activities which they can do when they finish their independent work. I also have a few sets in their station tubs. They work on items in these tubs when I'm working with small groups. I'm working on typing the writing rings and putting them online if anyone is interested.

One final thing we do with writing is sharing our work. I truly try my hardest to get this done on Fridays. Some weeks it is SO hard to find time to do this, especially with things being as busy as they are. When we do get to share our work, the students sit in the "Share Chair", which is my rocking chair. They love any chance they get to sit in the teacher chair! I think it is so cute when they do. Almost 100% of the time, students rock back and forth as they read their story. I think it's pretty impressive to rock and read...don't you?

How do you make writing more interesting for your students? Be sure to check out Miss Griffin's post on Sticker Stories!! You'll love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment